Search This Blog

Quote of the Month

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Change of Plan

Well, the lemons sounded like a good idea until I went to the store and priced them.  We're out of season!  I should have realized.  They are way to expensive right now, I think I'll wait a bit on that.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, anyway.  With the current political climate of not only the US, but the entire world and with epidemics such as the swine flu going around, I can see a lot of reasons why we may have to rely on our food storage sooner than we'd like.  I've decided to start living on our food storage now.  The reasons for this are many.  But it seems to me if we are going to be able to live on our food storage in an emergency , then we need to be used to eating those foods.  It is well known that children and the elderly, especially, don't do well with a sudden change in diet.  They will stop eating altogether rather than eat things they are not accustomed to.  My challenge to myself, then, is to learn to live on what we've stored. 

Also, I have diabetes.  This means low carb/high protein eating.  The number one recommended storage item is always wheat, followed by sugar.  Both high carb items!   I need to find food storage options that take the diabetes into consideration as well.  (Challenge number 2.)

And, to top it all off, my daughter and I are both pretty picky eaters.  I try to eat a large variety of things, but i have to admit that I find it very difficult to gag down vegetables.  So challenge number 3, then, is to find recipes we both will like using items that store well. 

I'm looking forward to this journey.  If you'd like to come along, please feel welcome.  Together, we might just learn something, eh?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: